Sunday, March 25, 2012

Quilts for Kids--The Asterisk Quilt



My most recent contribution to Sarah from SewSarahSews are two asterisk blocks.  This was the first time I have ever made anything like this.  I love that she provides links to tutorials for the blocks that she wants made.  The commitment for the number of blocks you make is completely up to you...which I LOVE.  She will complete the quilt and then send it to the home of the foster child.  They will keep this quilt.... forever.

This is the first asterisk block that I made.  Cute but kinda boring.  It did give me an opportunity to test my skills...or should I say to follow directions and overall, I am happy with the outcome.  But since I committed to making two blocks, I decided to jazz it up a bit.  But if you want to know the real story.....lol... here it is.  I made the second just like the first only in different colors.  When I went to square it up I wasn't even close to the 12-1/2" block size.... so I thought hmmmmm, how do I fix this?... Wonkiness!!  It fixes everything! So I offset the asterisk and added the grey border on two sides...a sweet look and by my initial calculations, it should have measured the correct size at that point.  But alas, it did not.  So what is a girl to do?  That's right... add another border!  Cut it big and then trim  it down afterwards!  No more  precision cutting and sewing for me!  Just like Eleanor Burns.... just trim it and toss it over your shoulder and sew some more..trim, toss, sew...that is my new sewing motto


Don't you love it!!!!!  I do!

If you would like to see the finished quilt from the first Quilt For Kids that I participated in just click here.  The blocks I made are here..but they look like the rest. The quilt is sooo cool.  Great for a boy.

Happy Sunday Everyone!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Love your blocks and your style - you can never have too many borders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janine! It was a lot of fun making them once I figured it out! LOL

      Delete
  2. I do!!!! I got the top pieced today....can't wait to show you next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I found your blog through your sister's! I really love love love that last asterisk block! And also the reference to Eleanor Burns...lol! I actually took a class from her when I was in college, and that's when I made my first quilt...the log cabin.

    ReplyDelete